Saturday, August 29, 2009

The Great Minnesota Get Together

Yesterday afternoon, Aaron and I took our annual trip to the state fair. The state fair always marks the end of summer and the beginning of fall. Aaron has already begun back to school activities. Overnight lows are down in the 50s. But we're not quite ready for summer to end... at least not without a trip to the fair.

He rode his bike and arrived an hour or so before I did. This gave him a chance to look at the exhibits that I'm not terribly interested in (like the old tractors). I rode the bus and met him there.

We have some exhibits that we like to go to every year. One of them is the Eco Experience, a building dedicated to local food, alternative transportation, and energy efficiency.



Other favorites include baby farm animals...





... and the giant vegetables in the agriculture building.



We also enjoyed a variety of fair food: mocha on a stick, wild rice burger, pot roast sundae, and the Norwegian banana split (deep-fried, lefse-wrapped banana topped with ice cream, strawberries, whipped cream, and nuts). There was plenty of food we avoided as well:




We finished off the evening listening to a lively bluegrass band.



It's been a pretty good summer, and now I am ready for fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment